Welcome to All Worlds Wayfarer
Submissions are currently OPEN for the Prismatic Dreams anthology. For Prismatic Dreams, we are exclusively looking for LGBTQIA+ speculative fiction.
The call will be open until at least June 15th, but may run longer, depending upon the number of submissions received.
We love stories that take us on tours through the fantastic—whether in other dimensions or in the hidden spaces of our own world. We're looking to highlight an often unseen side of speculative fiction: we want to encounter characters so vivid that our souls slip into their bodies, themes that challenge and move us, and language that makes us swoon. Immersive world-building and twisting plots are awesome aspects of our genres, but we're looking for stories where these factors are shaped around the characters and themes, instead of the other way around. So often speculative stories are seen as escapist romps or slow, encyclopedic affairs—while there’s nothing wrong with these styles, we know the possibilities are infinite!
Rekindle the wonder and horror we all experienced as children. Make our eyes stretch wide as we read. Make our pulses pound faster. Raise our spirits. Break our hearts. Haunt us. Make us look at our own world just a little differently after we reach "the end."
Help our readers escape reality and experience it more deeply all at once in the way that only stories—especially speculative stories—can.
The Prismatic Dreams Anthology
Stories take us beyond the bounds of our own lives—into new worlds and new situations. Perhaps most importantly, they invite us into new identities. Through the characters we temporarily become, we open ourselves to a rainbow of experiences. Speculative fiction gives us new lenses through which to explore our world and ourselves, and a deeper understanding of what makes love and connection so amazingly diverse.
In the second All Worlds Wayfarer anthology, immerse yourself in 30 unique stories featuring queer and LGBTQIA+ protagonists in sci-fi, fantasy, and horror. Open yourself to Prismatic Dreams.
What We're Seeking
For the Prismatic Dreams anthology, we are looking specifically for works featuring LGBTQIA+ protagonists.
Show us your best work in any of the speculative genres or their sub-genres:
- Science Fiction
- Magical Realism
- Paranormal, Surrealism, Weird Fiction, or any other style with speculative elements.
As long as your story emphasizes characters, themes, or craft, it may be a fit for us.
We're especially fond of: High fantasy without traditional genre races or creatures; fantasy or science fiction that crosses over with horror; unusual takes on common sub-genres (such as post-apocalyptic); rare sub-genres (such as biopunk, solarpunk, cosmic horror, or Gothic fantasy); themes exploring identity, purpose, or existence; stories centering platonic relationships; diverse and LGBTQIA+ characters; #OwnVoices; genre-blending stories. What we crave most, however, is sincerity, meaning, and intensity.
Hard sells: Stories heavily reliant on genre tropes; stories with traditional fantasy races and creatures (elves, dragons, etc); paranormal romance; horror without supernatural and psychological elements. While we love stories that subvert or twist tropes and archetypes, we are likely not a fit for satire, parody, or straightforward deconstructions.
We publish in the adult, new adult, and young adult age ranges.
We don't publish poetry, non-fiction, or excerpts from longer works at this time.
To ensure that your story is considered, please adhere to our guidelines.
For the anthology (unlike the magazine), we will only select stories in one word count category:
- Short Fiction: 1,500 to 5,000 words
Please provide any content warnings that readers may wish to be aware of before reading (if your story is accepted for publication, we reserve the right to add or remove content warnings as we feel appropriate).
- No sex scenes. Suggestive themes, sexual references, and black screens are fine; explicit sexual content and erotica aren’t the right fit for All World’s Wayfarer.
- Violence is fine so long as it serves the story and isn't gratuitous.
- Coarse language is fine so long as it serves the story and isn't gratuitous.
- Alcohol and drug references are fine so long as they serve the story and aren't gratuitous.
- No hate speech or messaging against any real-world demographic based on race, ethnicity, culture, gender, sex, sexuality, age, neurodivergence, physical or mental illness or disability, size, religion, or belief system. (Characters may be prejudiced, but your story's themes should not be prejudiced.)
- No fan fiction. (We can't publish it for legal reasons.)
- No first drafts. (While an occasional typo is expected, please only submit polished work that has gone through at least a round or two of self-editing.)
- Stories dealing with challenging themes can be powerful, but if you do address any such topics (prejudice, abuse, mental illness, etc) please do so with sensitivity and empathy.
- You must own all the rights to your submitted work.
Please use these formatting guidelines:
- 12 point Times New Roman or Courier New font
- Double spacing
- 1" margins
- Scene breaks demarcated by *** or # symbols
- Auto characters (e.g. auto indents instead of tabs, curly quotes instead of straight quotes, alt 0151 em dashes without spaces, and alt 0133 ellipses)
The readability helps the editors respond to submissions faster and makes formatting for publication easier if we accept your work. We won't auto-reject if your formatting doesn't match the guidelines exactly, so don't stress. However, if the formatting is so far enough off that it affects readability (the fonts are much too large or too small or too decorative, parts of the text are cut off, etc) or would require us to re-format the story before reading, then the editors may reject for formatting issues at their discretion.
Translators are welcome to submit translated stories, but please include proof that you have permission to publish the story (e.g. a contract with the author) in the submissions email.
Simultaneous, Previously Published, and Multiple Submissions
We accept simultaneous submissions, but please let us know if your story is accepted for publication elsewhere. For the anthology (unlike the magazine), we will not accept previously published stories. Please submit only one story at a time to All Worlds Wayfarer and wait for a response before submitting another story. We aim to respond to all submissions within two months.
Publishing with Us
Selection goes both ways: Please make sure we're right for your goals before you submit.
If your story is published in an All Worlds Wayfarer anthology, we retain exclusive digital and physical publishing rights for one year. Afterward, the ebook edition will remain available and the physical editions will remain in print, but all rights revert to you. Note that your story will then be considered previously published, which may affect future submission opportunities with other markets, as not all markets accept previously published work.
We proofread accepted stories prior to their publication. We may also perform light copyediting, in which case you will have the right to approve or decline the changes. We will not perform any developmental edits.
The anthology will be published in ebook, paperback, and hardcover versions. It will be available at most major online book retailers. We will also aim to make the physical editions available to libraries.
Writing is challenging work—mentally and emotionally—and we passionately believe in paying writers for their labor. At this time, we can offer token payments of $20 to published submissions. In the future, we would love to be able to provide our authors with the larger payments they deserve.
Prismatic Dreams' target release date is Q4 2021.
We publish quarterly on every equinox and solstice. In 2021, our publication dates will be:
- Vernal Equinox: March 20th (Issue 8)
- Summer Solstice: June 20th (Issue 9)
- Autumnal Equinox: September 22nd (Issue 10)
- The Prismatic Dreams Anthology: Q4 2021
- Winter Solstice: December 21st (Issue 11)
Please register for our newsletter if you would like notifications when new submission calls and new issues launch.
How to Submit
Submissions are currently OPEN for the Prismatic Dreams anthology.
For Prismatic Dreams, we are exclusively looking for LGBTQIA+ speculative fiction.
- Please email email@example.com.
- Include SUBMISSION in your subject line, along with your story's title.
- Include your story's word count and any relevant content warnings in your email.
- Include a short third-person bio (200-word maximum) that you would like posted with your story in the event that it is published. Your bio may include links to your website, blog, newsletter, or social media accounts.
- Attach your story file to the email (as a .docx, .doc, or .rtf) or include a link to a Google Docs file.
- Send it our way!
We’ll do our best to get back to you within two months. If you have not heard from us by then, or if you have other questions related to the submissions process, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We welcome submissions from experienced and emerging writers in every demographic. Reading stories written by so many unique voices makes this journey worth taking. Don't self reject! Whether or not we select your submission as a fit for All World’s Wayfarer, we respect every author who shares their hard work with us.
We look forward to reading your tales!